Wednesday, September 12, 2012

So this is me.  My very first blog.
I am, technically, and forever, a stay-at-home mom.  Even though I worked part-time this summer as a waitress (and loved it! called it my break) for the first time in probably ten years, I am still a stay-at home mom.
I have four children, aged 15, 12, 10 and 5.  Two boys and 2 girls.  Five if you count my husband.  Love them all even though they can literally drive me nuts, one at a time or 2 or 3 at a time.
So I cook, clean, referee, do laundry, and a million other things in the run of a day.  Other moms (and dads!) you know what I mean, right?
But I also have a dream of being an author.  A real one where people can actually read what I wrote.  Which is more terrifying than it is exciting.  Seriously.
So because my baby girl just started grade one, I made the decision to do it.  I gave myself last year (kindergarten) and this year to prove to myself that I could do it.
I can write.
It's hard some days to leave the laundry or the floors and take the time to write (why do I feel guilty?!).  There would be weeks at a time before I would pick up a pen.  Yes, I still write it out before I put it on the computer.  I am a fast writer (I scribble and shorthand some words-hard to make it out!), and such a sloooooooooow typer.  Really slow.
Last year I finished writing one novel.  For middle-graders, early teens.  I am in the editing stage.
Also last year I completely finished two other novels I had written in the last few years, and I mean completely.  Editing, proofing, covers.  Everything.  Also for middle-grade readers.
It is such an exciting feeling to actually be finished!  How many times have I started a story, a novel, and not finished it?  Too many!
My novel for adults is written, took me YEARS with lots of breaks between working on it again, and is in the editing stage.  Again.
And not only do I love writing novels - I love picture books! So two series of those, one 26 books and the other at least 10, are on my plate.  This is what I work on when I can't get the novels written.
My goal - besides getting my kids to do good in school, and yes, sometimes just to GET them there - is to get at least one third of the picture stories and my 2 middle-grade novels out there, edit my adult novel at least twice more, and write another novel.
Too much to handle for a beginner?
Possibly.
But that's okay.  I'm a forgiver.  As long as I try.
But now that this post is here, it's my promise to myself, and to you, to try not to make a fool of myself by sitting on my behind all day long, in my pajamas, and just play Spider-Solitaire on the computer.
I will write.
Have a wonderful day!
I will try too!


1 comment:

  1. I thought I commented on this before? I guess it didn't go through. Yep... thanks for the pjs comment. Now I picture you in jammies all day at your computer playing Spider-Solitaire while I'm at school with my 16 busy 4-5 year olds trying to teach them French. Guess I'll switch jobs with you!

    ReplyDelete