Monday, August 5, 2013

Right or wrong - what do we do for our kids!

Okay. So I've worked this summer - too much. For me, anyway. Only about 30 hours per week, but 5 or 6 days a week. The hours I could handle, and many more, but not the days. How do Mom s who work full time handle it! I would go crazy!

So I'm waiting for September to settle myself down, get things back to normal. September. Kids in school. House found under the piles of sand - love barefoot season - NOT! - and laundry. Which is actually not bad. I took this weekend off to watch my boys motocross race. Love watching them. Kind of. When my knees stop shaking and my stomach calms down.

And my 16 year old wants to make it his career . Racing. On a dirtbike. It's the only thing he's ever wanted to do. Ever. Here's what I'm into  now. This is our conversation. You all know my side, right?
"Get up! You can't sleep all day! You need to get a job. Can you PLEASE  pick up those dirty clothes in your room! There's things growing in there! I see legs peeking out!"

Here's his answer to everything:
"I'm training! None of the pro racers have jobs. That's ALL they do is train! That's why they're pros! Because they put 100% into it! How do you expect me to be a pro if I can't focus and put everything into it! It's all I want to do. It's my dream! Are you going to tell me not to have a dream?"

Right. That's why you're dishes can't make it into the dishwasher. Cause you're 'training'. Wouldn't want to sprain your fingers.

But I will admit it's my fault too. I have, as a stay-at-home mom, picked up after my kids way too often.
Sad. True. Life.

And school? HAH!

"School is a waste of time. They don't teach me anything I need to know!"

Because it isn't a motocross school! Duh!  But he doesn't do well. And do you know what he did! He suckered me into trying to homeschool him! He refuses to go to school because - you guessed it!  - he wants to SPEND ALL HIS TIME TRAINING!

So if I want him to get an education/grade 12 diploma/ I need to do it! Holy crap! This right after I've decided to be a FULL TIME WRITER! With my youngest in grade 2, I'm just getting settled into doing the writing thing! Hmmmph. Between the laundry, cleaning, cooking, lunches - what else am I forgetting!- there was precious little time left to write! Some days none! So this September I really was going to do it!

Sigh.

Now - guess what I'll  be doing. Teaching. Hah - or learning. It's been a couple of years since I was in high school. Maybe I'll write while he's doing his work. Maybe. We'll see how it goes.

If it's anything like what doing homework is like...............it's not fun for either of us and it's too loud! But he's promised it won't be.......

Seriously. Am I doing the right thing or wasting my time?

Better be doing the right thing. My 13 year old son is already nagging to be homeschooled.

GIVE ME STRENGTH!

Mean old Mom said not a chance. I figure one at a time. Get the oldest a diploma, then the next.........

I figure if we take 3 hours to homeschool, he's got 3 extra hours a day. So if he worked part-time........

Hey - motocross is expensive!

What do you think? Am I doing too much for him? Not enough? Got any stories to compare?

I love my kids!



No comments:

Post a Comment